Snippets from Science

Monday, September 25, 2006

Tour Guide

Before moving to New York, the roommates and I decided that we would not play host to random couch-crashers. Meaning, if you don't talk to me on a regular basis and I don't really consider you a friend, you ain't stayin with me. Fortunately, I haven't had any fair weather friends appear out of thin air, but I suspect that time will come. Now, don't get me wrong- I was a couch crasher myself for the past few years, with auditions and apartment hunting. I know that walking around New York with a suitcase in hand completely sucks. It's hard enough to get around this city with nothin' but a purse and a lunchbox. Add a 20 lb duffle bag to the order, and it's a royal PIA.
At any rate, family and real friends are always welcome, and we certainly have had our fair share of those! This weekend, my brother came for his first visit. He hadn't been to New York in several years, and like most people, wasn't familiar with things non-touristy. We did it up right: Friday night, we went to a Mets game with several of my co-workers. Although the Mets lost, it was a great night for a game and my first time to Shea Stadium. On Saturday, we headed to Soho for brunch at Balthazar, walked through Little Italy and C-town on our way to South St. Seaport where we did the Bodies Exhibition, headed uptown to the Chelsea Market, back downtown to Ground Zero, and finally across the river to Brooklyn for a BBQ. Sheesh. Ending the evening with a Brooklyn Pilsner and sweet Italian sausage was just what the doctor ordered. That, and 9 hours' sleep.
So, I've got another 2 weeks until it's time to play tour guide again, when my friend Alex and his girlfriend come to visit for a day. Next up: Oktoberfest at http://www.zumschneider.com/.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home