Snippets from Science

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Good way to start the day

Not having a car conjures up two different emotions. On one hand, I really miss the freedom of being able to hop in my ride and escape. I could drive to the mall, or to my parents' house, to visit friends, or just drive to the country. On the other hand, I don't miss the gas prices, looking for parking, shelling out money I don't have to fix my car, and being the designated driver. Besides the fact that I don't need a car here, it's nice to have once less big thing to worry about.
That being said, I wonder if I still have a bit of road rage. I don't tend to get upset in cabs, and I really could care less what people driving down the street are doing, so maybe I'm cured. But it brings up this question- are non-driving people (and I'm talkin' lifers; not me who just recently stopped driving) susceptible to a form of transportation rage, be it the subway or the bus or the train? And is it with the same intensity that some drivers experience?
On the subway this morning, I witnessed an actual fight between a woman (with a small child) and a man. The woman claimed that the man had, on three separate occassions, touched her hand (since they were sharing a subway pole), and if he "touched my hand one more time, I'm gonna punch you in the fuckin' face." Wow. Is it really that serious? The man apologized as she continued to threaten him, and at this point, some random teenage kid started harrassing the man as well, asking "don't you know how to treat a lady? Show her some fuckin' respect." Respect? Nevermind the 5 year old kid that is witnessing this. Talk about setting a great example.
So I guess I answered my own question this morning. While I got annoyed at traffic issues, I can't say I ever physically threatened another driver. And while I did get a kick out of a certain asshole bringing up my "road rage" randomly in an arguement, in retrospect, I probably looked just as stupid as the woman on the subway.

2 Comments:

  • hahaha.i bet she got dumped for that!

    By Blogger Ratface, at 4:57 PM  

  • if someone threatened to punch me in the face for touching their hand...i'd PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE.

    By Blogger Robert, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home