Snippets from Science

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Inky

Well, I decided it was time to add to my art collection- on my back. I've been wanting a new tattoo for some time now, but I just wasn't sure what would best compliment what I already have, so I took some time to do research- not only on the piece itself, but also the artist. Since Ashley's last tattoo turned out so great, I asked her to check with Seth at Read St. Tattoo for a recommendation. He suggested I contact Troy Denning, of Invisible NYC. So I did. I had a brief meeting with Troy himself (who I understand is booked through September), and he referred me to one of the other artists in the shop, who specializes in text. So I met with Andre (my tattooer), and my vision took shape. (That sounded really stupid, didn't it? Anyway...)
He drew up a sketch for me, but mostly freehanded a lot of it. It's pretty impressive- and pretty badass. If you've never been tattooed, the way it works is: the sketch is drawn on tracing paper, the area (on your body) is prepped, the tracing paper is "stamped" into place, and you're ready for business. Yes, it hurts. Some spots are more tender than others. Sometimes it feels like a twig scratcing your skin- other times, it feels like a talon peeling away layers of skin. But generally, women are better getting tattooed because we have a higher threshold for pain. In fact, Andre asked me if I wanted to take a break, and I said, "I'm good if you're good!" Score.
So, pictures will follow- I have 2 sessions left before it is complete. This will probably be it for me and tattoos...unless, of course, I decide to start a punk band.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home