Snippets from Science

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Um, I have a dime.

I always feel bad when someone asks me for money. I feel bad because 9 times out of 10, I ignore them. To be honest, I rarely have any money to give. I hate carrying cash because I spend it all, so I'm usually just left with some odd change. And even then, who wants a handful of pennies?
It's hard to tell whether the person asking for money really needs it to eat, or really wants it for other purposes. I think most of the people who approach me are hungry- hence, my feeling bad. As my friend Sean and I were walking up the street last night, a man on a bicycle approached us, asking for 75 cents. I was kind of surprised at how casual Sean was about it- he reached in his pocket and said, "All I have is this dime- sorry buddy." I gave the guy a few spare nickels. The man on the bike didn't look hungry- he looked pissed that we didn't give him 75 cents. He rode away, and I said, "How altruistic of you, Sean." Sean said, "Nah. If you wouldn't have been here, I would have kept on walking."
So that got me thinking- is charity all for show? Or do people donate money to worthy causes because they actually want to. I know on the few occaisions that I have donated money, I haven't really made it a point to tell anyone. Why? It's not like it's gaining me points. If I need points with anyone, it's the higer power- and he already knows of my good deeds.
So how does one get over the feelings of guilt? (And I'm not looking for any sarcasm here.) A few Sundays ago at St. Thomas (AMAZING men and boys choir), the sermon was all about "loving thy neighbor as thyself", and how to turn the other cheek. I can't help but think of that sermon everytime I ignore a beggar. Is this God's way of reminding me that things could be worse? Perhaps. Or maybe it's his way of reminding me that I could always do a little bit better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home