Snippets from Science

Thursday, May 11, 2006

"They ruin everything"

Dan: How was it? (referring to the Pinback concert from which I had just returned home).
Me: It was good! But, I was a bit disappointed.
Dan: Why?
Me: There were hippies there, Dan. HIPPIES. And they were dancing right in front of me.
Dan: Yeah. They ruin everything.

Now, if you know me, you know that I enjoy a good rock show. I don't like to pay a lot of money to see shows, so I only really go to small(er) clubs. If it's a band I REALLY want to see and haven't, I'll pay over $30. But usually, it's $20 or less for moi.
That being said, I was pretty psyched when I found out Pinback was gonna be playing Iriving Plaza here in NY. I hadn't been to IP yet, so I was excited to check out the venue. Plus, Pinback totally rocks. I met my friend Chris there (he ended up paying twice as much for his scalped ticket- I felt bad, but thems the breaks), and we prepared to be rocked. Now, the last time I saw Pinback was at the Ottobar, which is small in case you don't know. Iriving Plaza is easily 3 times the size of Ottobar. For a mellow, small indie rock band, I would think a smaller venue would be better. Anyway, I digress.

They started to play, and it was good...they played all of my jams, so I was happy. But as I looked around the club, I saw hippies- and a lot of them. Pinback is not a jam band, not influenced by the Dead (at least I don't think so), and does not wear tye dye. (Did I hit all of the sterotypes?) So why so many treehuggers? These "peaceful people" did nothing but smoke joints throughout the entire show and dance HORRIBLY. Next to hardcore kids dancing, hippie trippy dance moves are the worst. Especially at an indie rock show! I tried, I really did, to not be snotty about it, but when the dirt merchant girl beside me hit me for the 10th time with her swirling hand movements, I was fed up.

It's too bad the concert wasn't all I wanted it to be on account of the crowd. Although, Pinback was not as tight last night as they were the last time I saw them. If this singing thing doesn't work out, maybe I'll become a critic. Everyone loves a critic!

6 Comments:

  • I know, they drive me crazy too.

    By Blogger Jessica, at 7:21 AM  

  • um...who had a treehugger convention and did not invite me? You know I love the trees but I don't do trippie dancing and wear tye-dye. But I do love the dead.xu

    By Blogger missnakia, at 8:41 AM  

  • ah - pierce hates hippies. he's so relieved that i only wear heels and flips in the summer, not birkenstocks.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 3:34 PM  

  • Listen, I own Birkenstocks, but ONLY for the comfort factor. I am flat footed, so I need a sandel with support- they are pretty much the only thing I can find that works.

    But yeah...I try to be as anti-hippie as possible when wearing them.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 4:21 PM  

  • that's ok. i wear sas shoes.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 9:30 PM  

  • I don't wear underwear. Ever.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home