Snippets from Science

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Gradgeeation

Today is Columbia's graduation. It couldn't be lovelier outside- thank God, since yesterday was a flooded wreck. I think I'll go over and watch all the proud parents. It's always a notsalgic time. I'd like to take this time to congratulate any Peabody grads as well- Eliza, Dan. Well done! Now it's real world time. Welcome.
Working in academia again has made me want to go back to school. But, of course, the amount of debt in which Peabody has left me doesn't leave much room for paying for an education. So, I'm looking into getting a second Masters here at Columbia, in Arts Administration. "But Hilary, that's a commitment!" you might say. I know it is- that's why I'm only THINKING about it, you see. *FYI- I keep making many typing mistakes with this wrist guard, so forgive me if I don't catch something*.
The way I see it, I won't be singing forever. At some point, I will have to retire from the stage- and preferably before any sort of wobble sets in. I'm not sure I'd be entirely comfortable teaching, but I think I am interested in running a joint. The next Bob Sirota? Perhaps. I know the pay is good.
So, that's what I'm considering. Of course, I need to see how auditions will shape up, and if I have any sort of performance schedule. Plus, I've already missed the deadline for beginning in the fall, so I'd have to wait until January. In the mean time, I think I'm going to take a German course starting in September. Mama is ein bischen rusty. (Did I even spell that right?)
In other news, I went to an awesome Bach Cantatas concert last night at St. Thomas. My friend Jesse was one of the men in the men and boys choir, and hooked me up with his comp. It was a real treat- in that gorgeous space, with a period orchestra, and a choir of 40- really great. The soprano soloist was good, but the countertenor was not. I also saw my future husband again this morning. Should I talk to him one of these days?

4 Comments:

  • I think the Arts Admin is a good idea at come point...after auditions shape up. You can always defer your start-date! Thanks, for the shout-out!

    By Blogger Florida Opera/Waitress, at 7:09 AM  

  • Yes, you should talk to your future husband. It's hard to marry people without some previous conversation.

    I think the arts admin is a good idea too. More education can never hurt you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:47 PM  

  • dude, i love having my arts management/marketing degree. it's hooked me up with plenty of jobs.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 6:00 PM  

  • and yes, you should talk to him! wear your birkenstocks! jaykay. lol. lmao. brb. asap. naacp.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home