Snippets from Science

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Service with a Smile

Baltimore isn't known for being pleasant. I'm actually shocks when I hear former New Yorkers say that Baltimore is a nicer city. Of course, I don't live in New York just yet, so I can't say they are totally wrong, but it has been my experience that for the most part, New York is a friendlier place than "charm" city.
Case in point: Yesterday, I phoned my eye doctor about my contact prescription. In case you don't know, you have to go in to be fitted for contacts, then receive a trial pair, then come back in to make sure the trial pair worked. Well my first trial pair was bad- wayyyyyy too dry. So he gave me a second trial pair- much better. Mind you, this was after I had to take off work early to attend a "how to put in your conacts class", which was really only 1 lady and me. She watched me put the contacts in (and I used the term watch loosely, as she was talking to her co-workers the entire time), and sent me on my way.
Well, I had a second follow up appt, which I completely missed, so therefore, I don't have a contact prescription.
I called the doctor yesterday to see if he can just write me a script, b/c these contacts are fine, but I was stopped dead in my tracks by the bitch of a receptionist. After she put me on hold for 5 minutes, she got back on the phone to rudely inform me that I had missed my follow up appointment, and would now need to order a NEW pair of trial lenses, thus starting the whole process over again. Um, how bout no? I kindly told her that I've only worn the lenses a total of 7 times, and they are 14-day lenses. So I have another 7 times to wear them before they must be thrown away. "NO!" She says. "You hafta get a few trial pair..and come back in for another appointment..blah blah blah". The doctor takes the phone. "Hello, Miss Ryon? What...you only wore the contacts 7 times? Oh! No problem....you're fine. Just come in Thursday to see me, and I'll write your script. Yes...yes...you're welcome." I just know that bitch was PISSED. But if wouldn't have been standing there, I would have had to repeat this process for a THIRD time.
Quality.

1 Comments:

  • I HATE the whole contact process. If it weren't for the annual eye exam, we could do this shit ourselves. FYI, you can order refills for much cheaper on 1800contacts. Your doctor is required to grant them. Plus, they get delivered to your door.

    By Blogger Florida Opera/Waitress, at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home