Snippets from Science

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Éireann go Brách

Who knew that the Shamrock 5K here in good ol Baltimore would attract thousands of runners? I've always enjoyed the St. Patty's Day Parade (no,once and for all, it's not on St. Patty's day): the bagpipes, the Irish cloggers, the Irish Wolfhounds, and the beer, of course. But the pre-parade activities are just as fun.
My brother and I decided to run the 5K this year, since it benefits the Baltimore Irish society, and because it's fun. The weather was perfect for running, and Charles St. was packed with runners of all ages and fitness levels. After weaving our way through the crowd, we got off to a good start, and finished the race in 30 mins. Not great, but hey- I'm no athelete. I take pride in just being able to run 3 miles without stopping.
Beer at the finish line was tempting, but I decided against it since I was starving and dehydrated. Since when did this sensible side kick in?
I'm glad I was able to do something fun and traditional in Baltimore before leaving. As much as I complain about this city, I will miss parts of it/activities. Here's hoping Charm City (someday) lives up to its name.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home