Snippets from Science

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

You Have Killed Me

Well friends, I did it- I sang karaoke. I didn't think I would ever say those words again. The one and only time (besides last night) that I've sung karaoke was when I was 18 and wasted in London. I sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"- who sings that for karaoke??? Apparently, me. As Robert said, the thing about karaoke being so terrifying for me is the fact that in bar, everyone thinks they can sing. Everyone thinks they rock. Nevermind my training, experience, and ability to perform in front of thousands. You put me on a stage in front of 30 buzzed strangers, and I'm shakin'.
The bar was pretty empty- only the die-hard Baltimore Smiths fans were present. True to form, as Robert pointed out, there are tell-tale signs of male Morrissey fans- that includes Doc Martens and tapered jeans. It also includes biker jackets, and/or a 60's British rock band suit. It went surprisingly well. It wasn't karaoke, so much as it was "Sing along with this Morrissey track". I kind of liked that, because it cued me. I sang "The more you ignore me, the closer I get". I only looked at the lyrics sheet once or twice...but did it from memory for the most part. I asked Ashley, "Did I sound like an idiot?" She said, "You sounded like an opera singer doing karaoke".
Is that so bad?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home