Snippets from Science

Monday, February 20, 2006

Eureka

As you all know, I'm giving a recital in 2 weeks. Yikes. Not being in school, A.K.A not needing this to count for a grade, takes some of the pressure off. I don't HAVE to have 4 different languages, or 4 different time periods represented, and it doesn't HAVE to be a specific number of minutes. But, it's a performance nonetheless, and I like to think that my 6 years of schooling are put to good use. I know how to walk out, bow, what to wear, when to acknowledge the accompanist, how to stand, how to not look nervous, etc. Achieving all of that is a different story...but at this point, I think it all comes together nicely.
Of course my voice has changed since college....age takes care of that, as does hormones and proper teaching. And as most of us know, the learning never stops when it comes to singing, We pray our technique is a good enough foundation to get us started, and we go from there. But when is the last time you pulled out a recording of yourself...say...5-6 years ago? Maybe a recital, or opera, or choral concert?
As someone who has always hated listening to/watching herself, it's difficult for me to dust off those old recordings. But I did it. I found my Junior Year (from WVU) recital, and gave it a listen. My Junior recital was a joint recital, so half of the program was me, and the other half was my friend and roommate at the time, Dee on cello.
Incidentally, Dee will be playing on my upcoming recital- and we're doing 2 of the pieces we did together *gasp* 6 years ago.
Yesterday, while rehearsing with Dee, she said to me, "Wow. I remember this being a lot faster. You have gained some great breath control." I thought about it for a few minutes, and realized she was right. I HAVE gained breath control. I hope I've grown in the past 6 years, but it's nice to get that confirmation. I wonder what I'll sound like 6 years from now...

1 Comments:

  • I can't believe how fast time is going- it doesn't seem possible that your recital it was 6 years ago.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home