Snippets from Science

Monday, December 05, 2005

In a New York Minute

Whirl.wind.weekend.

Everything happens fast in New York City; that's part of the reason why I love it. The hustle and bustle, and pretentiousness of almost everyone. The glazed looks on the faces of people riding the subway to and from work. The stylish outerwear of New Yorkers during the winter. Fabulous.
This weekend started out with Greyhound ( the ONE time I don't take the Chinatown bus) leaving Baltimore 45 minutes late, thus arriving in NY an hour late, thus allowing me limited time to warm up, change, and get to my audition. I just love the feeling pressured by time AND nerves! But no worries...made it on time, and sang well. Done and done. Friday night, I stayed with my friend Jonathan, who lives on Wall St. He showed me a fabulous time, mid-town style. We ate at a hip place (Vinyl), drank at some swank places (Hudson Hotel and Flute), and took a cab. Taking cabs always makes me feel important. I never take them, mostly because I'm poor, but once and a while, it's a nice treat. Yay Jonathan.
Saturday, I went shopping in Union Square, ice skating in Bryant Park, and felt generally Christmasy. I stayed with my friend Chris (whose nickname is Bucket...a childhood thang), who I hadn't seen in 6 years. Bucket lives in Williamsburg (Crooklyn), which is tragically hip. Hipsters line the streets, with their scenester haircuts, short leather jackets, and coffee. Cool bars, cafes, restaurants, galleries, tattoo shops, and boutiques abound. I would love to live there, but I don't think I can afford it...yet. Anyway, we had dinner in the BK, then headed to Manhattan to see Ted Leo and the Pharmacists (a GREAT band). Since Bucket's roommate works at the club where Ted Leo was playing (Webster Hall), we got in free, and were V.I.P. That meant we got to sit in cushy chairs, in the balcony, drink for free, and hang with the important people. Badass. Ted Leo ROCKED, and I got trashed. So trashed, in fact, that I don't really remember going to the next club to see the Japanese punk band, Peelander Z. What I do remember is that Peelander put on perhaps the wierdest show I've ever seen, complete with human bowling. On our way out of the Peelander show (at Mercury Lounge), I literally ran into Moby. WIth my right shoulder. Wow. Too bad I was nearly ill because of the amount of gin flowing through my blood. Otherwise, we could have partied with Moby. Dammit.
Then it was back to Brooklyn, where we hung out at a cool bar and drank more. One snowy walk back to Bucket's later, we passed out.
Needless to say, I'm a little tired today. I'd like to think that when I live in NY, weekends like this will be a regular thing, but they probably won't. I spent more money this weekend than I do in a month (OK...not really, but I spent a lot). So now, I just have to find a wealthy film editor or writer or gallery owner or musician manager, who will hang out with me and Moby.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home