Snippets from Science

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Guess I'll go Eat Worms

I consider myself to be a pretty likable person. I have a lot of friends, am friendly to most people, and feel as though I am generally respected and cared for. So, when I feel like someone doesn't like me, I feel threatened. And my feelings of being threatened turn into one of two things- hatred or confusion. Well, hatred is a pretty strong word. Let's say strong dislike or confusion.
In this case, confusion.
I have a co-worker who is naturally pretty shy. He doesn't say much, keep to himself for the most part, and quietly (VERY quietly) does his work. That's all fine. I started working here around the same time as this gent, so we were going through the new employment process together. I would try to ask him questions in the get-to-know-ya fashion, and he gave me a minimal response. But he was that way with everyone else too, so I didn't take it personally. As the months went on, I noticed more interaction with my other co-workers on his part. He had/has daily conversations with some of the other ladies, shares things with them, but has not included me in any of this. I must admit, I basically stopped trying to talk to him when all I got was a "hey" as a greeting. So now I'm not sure what to think- does he dislike me? Or does he think I'm sooooo different from him that we couldn't possibly have anything to talk about?
Normally, I wouldn't really care. And it's not like it's keeping me up at night. But I hate that feeling of awkwardness at work...when we are the only 2 people around. The silence is deafening. I kind of feel like I'm back in high school...sharing a lab table in Physics with Joey Jordan and Aaron Weaver.

4 Comments:

  • well hilary, it's one of two things:

    1) he has a thing for older ladies
    2) he's uncomfortable because of that time you offered to blow him. or was it me who offered? i can't remember.

    By Blogger Robert, at 12:59 PM  

  • OK....EVERY man says that, Jay. Except he has a girlfriend, practically finacee, and she's pretty.

    So I honestly think he just doesn't like me!

    By Blogger Hilary, at 4:53 PM  

  • He's stupid. That's what I think

    By Blogger Jessica, at 7:45 PM  

  • um jay... does that work? a big lip lock ON his eyes?

    is that what i'm doing wrong? is that why i'm not getting any?

    no one gave me that memo...

    By Blogger George Lam, at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home