Snippets from Science

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

What the hell am I doing here?

As I was driving to rehearsal in D.C. yesterday, "Creep", by Radiohead, came on the airwaves, and I immediately turned it allllll the way up and started singing along. I was reminded of a similar situation involving this song, and laughed out loud in my car.
I was in the 8th grade when the new neighbors moved in next door. We had the same lovely neighbors for most of my childhood, but they bought a different house across town, and after they moved, it was all down hill. This family, who currently still occupies the house, has 4 children- 3 girls and a boy. As curious 13-year olds do, I was peeking out the windows of my house, watching them cart their crappy furniture and boxes through the front door, wondering if we would have to car pool with them. They had spent the better part of the day hauling things, so by evening, the activity had mostly stopped, and it was safe to go back outside on the front porch. I had my walkman in hand, earphones on, radio set to 105.7 (The EDGE), and "Creep" came on. I thought I was DA BOMB, being raised on Depeche Mode, The Smiths, The Cure, and, at 13, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, and Ministry. I climbed up on the brick railings of the porch, humming along to the song. I kept glancing around, checking up and down the street to make sure no one was coming, and then I let it go- sreaming at the top of my lungs to "run....run...run...ruuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn". As I was belting along with all of Tom York's glory, I turned around just in time to see Ian, my new 14-year-old neighbor, staring at me. I fell off of the railing, turned off my walkman, and waited for my death of embarassment. I heard him chuckling as he walked into his house, and I remained on the floor of the porch for a good 10 minutes, until I was absolutely sure he wasn't going to see me run back into my house.
I think I avoided all contact with Ian for the next year, until I was forced to ask his friend for a ride home. He probably forgot all about my karoke moment, but I still remember it, vividly, to this day.

1 Comments:

  • i still find myself walking down the sidewalk, singing along with my headphones. lucky for me, i live in baltimore and that's normal behavior.

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home