Snippets from Science

Monday, December 25, 2006

Happy Christmas...

...to all you Christians out there, and all you non-Christians who celebrate Christmas. For the Jews, the festival of lights has ended. But I enjoyed a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner as one of 2, maybe 3, gentiles in attendance. Srsly- latkes are where it is AT. Latkes, and the ham that my mom is cooking right now. My oh my- the whole house smells wonderful.
After finishing up my 2.5 hour Christmas Eve church service around 1 AM, I got home just in time to get 3 hours of sleep before waking up to head to Penn Station. Now, securing a car service to retrieve me at 5:45 AM wasn't a real problem- or so I thought. I woke up with everything packed and ready to go, dragged my 1283781273 lb. suitcase and bag full 'o presents down the stairs, and waited. And waited. And waited.
After two calls to the car company- assuring me the driver was on his way- I started to panic. It's not a long drive to Penn Station from my apartment, especially with no traffic, but I still had to print out my train ticket and find the gate, all while dragging this gigantic suitcase around the train station.
At 6:05 (TWENTY MINUTES after the car was due to arrive), I took matters into my own hands, and just as I was about to hail a cab, the car pulled up. I know it's Christmas, but damn- I had to let the dude know that my mood wasn't merry.

Driver: "Sorry, miss! Sorry!"
Me: "Whatever. I have a 6:30 train to catch. Step on it."
Driver: "No one wants to work on Christmas, miss. That's why I was late."
Me: "Yeah, well, that's why I reserved this car in ADVANCE. I didn't just call you 25 mins ago expecting you to be here. Can you please drive faster? It's 6:12."
Driver: A bunch of spanish I didn't understand.
Me: Rolling eyes and still panicing. "If I miss my train, my Christmas will NOT be merry, sir."

........................
......................................

We arrive at Penn Station at 6:24. I literally RUN down the escalator, knocking several bums out of my way. I kind of felt bad about that. I printed my ticket out just in time to glance at the train board to see that my train didn't leave until 6:45. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home