Snippets from Science

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Heart, We Will Forget Him

For those of you who don't know, I'm doing a recital Sunday, March 5, 5 PM- Church of the Redeemer in Bethesda. There! Advertised.

At any rate, I'm doing several of the Emily Dickinson Copland songs. They are really interesting. They seem simple enough, but that's what they say about Mozart too. The poetry itself, of course, is gorgeous and really makes the melodies come alive. Being that this is my first time singing Copland, I was a bit unsure if I was communicating well enough. In my lesson a few days ago, Ruth told me that I had "learned them beautifully" and had nothing to worry about. She said whatever recording I was listening to is good, but why don't I listen to hers. Folks, not only is this her on the recording, but Copland himself was in the audience the night this recording was made. HELLO! COPLAND. Talk about nervous.

Well, after the performance, he approached her, took her face in his hands, and said "You made me cry. You made me forget I wrote those songs."

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd wow. I would have fainted. She said she cried and cried.

So, Copland, if you are honorarily there for my performance, give me a little nudge. Lord knows I need all the encouragement I can get!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home