Snippets from Science

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I'm Amuse-d

My friend Brent is one of a kind. I met him years ago in undergrad, while he was pursuing his Master's in Journalism. At the time of our meeting, he was taking voice lessons from a fellow singer and friend of mine. Brent was actually a trumpet player, but also enjoyed singing in his spare time. He wrote songs, played guitar and sang, and liked The Smiths. Brent was destined to be my friend.
Unfortunately, I didn't meet Brent until about a month before we both graduated from WVU. He was very funny and quirky, and could stay up all night quoting the Brak show. If I had met him a year or so earlier, I would probably be married to him now. Well...maybe not. Actually probably not at all. I guess what I mean is that Brent is so easy to like, so easy to engage in friendship, and just a down right good guy. I'm glad we remain friends.
Brent is also a published poet. Until recently, he was stuck living in Ardmore, Oklahoma (sorry Robert...but I actually have been there. Yikes!). He was working some crappy jobs, sending his poems out to be published, writing music, quoting Lou Reed to me over IM. Thankfully, he saved his pennies and moved to Denver, where he now lives and works. He works in an art gallery and (I think) he does graphic design somewhere else. He knows exciting artists, writers, and musicians, and is pretty much a non-hipster Hipster. For years, Brent has been bugging me to find a composer who will set some of his work. I knew plenty of composers at WVU, but I didn't really know anyone but singers once I started at Peabody. As time went on, I sort of forgot about Brent's talents, even when I befriended a certain Asian composer at Peabody.
Now I'm pretty excited, because I believe a collaboration is about to take place. A collab between le composer, le poet, and le singer- ME. It's very exciting. It makes me feel like a muse. I have illusions of grandeur, where this trio will premier dozens of works and gain fame in the chamber music-recital world, and we will all live in New York and be fabulous. Of course, that probably won't happen. At least not until one of the trio is finished at Duke. Maybe then.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home