Snippets from Science

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Desperation Station

"I can't beleive you told Hilary about AJ!", said Steve. "Oh who cares. It's not like she wouldn't go out with him! She'll go out on any date", Ashley responds. "Why doesn't your sister have a boyfriend? She's such a charming lady" asks Steve. Ashley says, "oh she doesn't want one. She doesn't go out looking for men."

This was a conversation that took place between my sister and her "friend", Steve. For the record, I would like to point out that I will NOT go out with just ANYONE, Ashley. And as for Steve's question, I don't have a boyfriend because I haven't met anyone worth that much of my time and energy. That's not to say there aren't certain men I know who are totally worthy of my time and efforts, but it just doesn't work out that way for whatever reason.

I don't understand the OBSESSION with relationships. I have said many-a-time that I am excited to meet and be with a fabulous man, but it's not the end all and be all for me. Everywhere I look, love, coupleness, joy, happiness. And I have that too- with my family. I'm not gonna lie- when I see husbands and wives, boyfriends and girlfriends all lovey in this season, I get a little jealous. I get a little sad. Yet, on a daily basis, I have people asking me, "how's your love life? Do you have a boyfriend? My sister knows someone who..." Enough! I honestly don't know why it's hard to meet dates. I don't think any single person actually knows. If we did, we wouldn't be single. We would have some magical 'dar to seek out the best possible mate and not have to deal with all the crappy ones in between.

What is my point? I don't know. Oh wait...yes. My point is this timetable must be broken. I don't know what lies ahead for me. In fact, the only thing I know is that I'm moving in 3.5 months and couldn't be more excited. (Except for the transit strike today). And while I'm sometimes terribly jealous of my friends in relationships, I don't need one. Not until that damn biological clock starts to tick, anyway...

4 Comments:

  • ok, hilary, i get it. let's just go out on a date and get it over with.

    By Blogger Robert, at 9:18 AM  

  • did i mention he said you and aj would be having little greaser babies?

    By Blogger Ratface, at 11:17 AM  

  • Right, because I'm SOOOOO rockabilly. But, then he and Steve would be brothers, so let's do it!

    By Blogger Hilary, at 11:34 AM  

  • You are like GW, you don't conform to timetables. How many soldiers have to die before you go on a date? :)

    By Blogger Florida Opera/Waitress, at 6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home