Snippets from Science

Sunday, October 09, 2005

I'm not Bitter, but...

I can't stand lovey-dovey couples. Now, it's true...I am a single gal. As I have stated many-a-time before, I like being single, but I'm not against relationships either. However, my high standards and lack of ability to put up with bullshit sort of limit my options. But I digress...

While standing in line at the grocery store this evening, I was forced to listen to a nauseating couple behind me. Now they were cute- I'll give them that. Right down to the matching Hopkins sweatshirts (gag #1). But the whole "you hang up....no YOU hang up...Noooo- YOUUU hang up" routine irks the shit outta me. I can honestly say that every relationship in which I have been, I have never been the uber-clingy-needy girlfriend. And when I went grocery shopping with my college boyfriend, Alex, I never stood in line with him, cooing over the potatoes and pasta we were going to make later.

In addition to making me ill, this couple was crowding me. You know the type- swinging and swaying alllllll over the place in line, bumping surrounding people without even noticing. Plus their groceries were overlapping with mine, and I wouldn't be surprised if she memorized my pin number, seeing as how she was hovering over the keypad while I was trying to type my shit in.

I hate going grocery shopping in the first place. Well..that's not entirely true. I hate going grocery shopping at a crowded store. When the store is virtually empty, I'm fine. In and out in 20 minutes. However, that hardly ever happens.

Again- my disgust for lovey-dovey PDA couples doesn't come out of my own jadedness. Yeah..I've been hurt, fucked over, rode hard and put up wet...who hasn't? But I've also had that endless feeling of butterflies in my stomach..and I wish I would end up with a man like that mister on the diamond commercial who screams "I love this woman!!" from the top of his lungs in Italy. But I will never be the annoying lovey-dovey girlfriend in the grocery store. Ew.

2 Comments:

  • try going to safeway canton after 7. it was EMPTY.

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:05 AM  

  • wow hilary - i think my sex drive has finally returned. now that you went and said "fucked over, rode hard and put up wet"... i think we should get back together. whaddya say???!!!

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home