Snippets from Science

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Classy Gait

I just got home from a 3 mile run through Guilford, Baltimore's nicest city neighborhood. The Guilford/Roland Park area of the city is GORgeous....old, fabulously huge homes on tree-lined streets and manicured lawns boasting beautiful flowers, shrubs, trees, and gazebos. It's really wonderful, and situated just north of the Johns Hopkins Homewood campus.
One of my favorite things to do during the summer in Baltimore is go running through this area. I wait until it's dusk, otherwise it's too damn hot, when the sun is setting and (in late May/early June), the air is cool. There is no traffic or stop lights, so I run along the side of the road- sometimes down the middle. I love to imagine myself living in a house like those I see...but I'd have to marry rich...and own a lexus. Right now I live in an apartment and drive a '95 Grand Am. At any rate....while I was running, I remembered that last year at this time, the cicadas were here. And wow were they ever. Those bugs were all over the joint. I had to dodge them like bullets when running, and sometimes they ran into me. Ew. They were all over the roads and sidewalks, and the remained in full effect for a good month. Yikes! Luckily, I wasn't battling any flying raisins tonight. Just enjoying the lovely weather, gorgeous backdrop, and pleasure of my own company.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home