Snippets from Science

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Please Shut Up

I consider myself very fortunate to have been raised (musicianally [I think I just made up that word]- speaking) in a professional environment. UNfortunately, when I encounter complete unprofessionalism, it nearly sends me through the roof. The older I get, and the more experience I tuck under my belt, the more it makes me want to stab someone.

Last night, during rehearsal, a particular woman in the choir- she will remain nameless, mostly because I don't think I know her name- would not stop talking. Would not stop. She talked through every rest, she talked through every section of every piece in which she was not singing, and she missed entrances because she was talking. The worst part is, she has to be at LEAST 50 years old...probably older. This is someone with (presumebly) 30 years of singing experience. And she wouldn't fucking stop running her annoying little mouth. To make matters worse, her "s's" were SSsssssooooo sssssssibilant that they practically echoed throughout the church.

I'm new to this group, so I held my tongue. Besides, it would be rather unprofessional of me to call someone out, and I don't want to make a bad impression. But come on- it's SO disrepectful to talk during rehearsal, especially when other people are singing! It's right up there with running one's mouth backstage- if you really have something important to say, I'm sure it can wait. And if it can't, then excuse yourself from the rehearsal.

If I ever become a director, conductor, or leader of some sort, I will make talkers' lives a living hell.

3 Comments:

  • oh, i love my fiery choir hilary! yelling at jamie, sending him the stink-eye. sigh. wonder if he's been gang-banged by the lacrosse team yet.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 6:32 AM  

  • what will the name of your choir be? something good i hope.

    By Blogger Robert, at 7:26 AM  

  • It will be called " The shut the fuck up you assholes if you ever want to sing under me again Choir".

    Catchy, no?

    By Blogger Hilary, at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home