Snippets from Science

Thursday, March 15, 2007

I promise

Having a really great voice lesson is one of the finer joys in life- at least for me. After working with my teacher for about 5 months now, I'm finally starting to hear and feel the difference between what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure no one cares about my technical changes, but I'll just say that learning how to keep that darn larynx down is on the top of the list. My teacher has given me several exercises to help with this problem- all of which sound completely strange. I'm usually afraid to do them at home because I don't want my roommates to think I'm choking or something. However, I realize now that I must do these exercises daily- for at least the next 2 weeks- in order for it to just naturally work. I have, afterall, been singing essentially the same way for the last 13 years. Making a change to one's technique after a long period of time does not come easy, or quick.
The good news is, I felt the difference- and I really did, I wasn't just saying that- last night my lesson. Who knew that sound could come out when I'm totally open! (No comment.) So, I'm taking a 20 minute break this afternoon, going down to the chapel in my building, and doing my strange-sounding exercises. This larynx is stayin put!

3 Comments:

  • open that throat, girl!

    maybe you could find a nice jewish boy to help you... ahem... practice.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 7:13 AM  

  • oh hilary,

    we're used to the sound of you choking echoing through the apartment.

    By Blogger Robert, at 8:45 AM  

  • maybe you should try to choking technique in the bedroom i suggested

    By Blogger Ratface, at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home