Snippets from Science

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Whole Paycheck

I have a love-hate relationship with Whole Foods. Every single time I go there to eat (because I can't afford to do my grocery shopping there: I mainly go just for the salad bars), I get annoyed. Like, really annoyed. Yet I keep going back, week after week. Why? Because I like to be in control of what I eat. And because as far as "fast food" goes, it's pretty quick. The selection of prepared foods is pretty extensive- salad bar, cold salads, hot salads, Indian food, pizza, soups, sandwiches, sushi, bakery delights, and if you really don't feel like dealing with the DIY salad bar, there's a whole "to go" area. It's that easy.
However, the clientele and sheer volume of people that clog the whole foods arteries at any given time is enough to make me want to shake a baby. Just kidding. Relax! But it's enough to make me swear that I'm done with Whole Foods forever- or until the next week. The worst part are the shopping carts. The buggies are these mini, half-carts and they are ridiculous. Most of the brainiacs pushing around these mini-wheels don't even NEED the cart; they're just lazy. If all you need from the store is a box of cereal and some organic cheese, then make your salad first, THEN grab those items, and get in line. Don't park your cart in the middle of the couscous area and walk around for 15 minutes. The next time I see that shit, I'm emptying the cart. Also, the sushi selections are pretty much the same across the board. Whole Foods isn't some random Japanese sushi innovator- pick up your spicey tuna roll and get the hell out of the way. Can't decide between brown and white rice? Why don't you take a step back and think about it instead of blocking the entire sushi case. Thanks.
I get irritated with myself for continuing to spend wayyyyyyy too much money at this yuppy, non-economical chain. However, for nine dollars, I can get a healthy, balanced meal that I put together myself, instead of paying $15 for the same thing at a restaurant. And since my insane social obligations prevent me from being able to cook at home every night, I'll remain Whole Foods' bitch. Plus, their vegan chocolate chip scones are off the CHAIN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home