Snippets from Science

Friday, January 26, 2007

Your Daily Brew

Let's keep it local, shall we? And yes, I have a thing for Brooklyn.
Today's featured brewery is none other than Brooklyn Brewery. I'm a fan of Brooklyn Brewery beers- you can find at least one or two on tap in almost every bar in New York, and as far as a "cheap" local beer goes, the beer is pretty good.
Last summer, Dan and I attempted to go on a tour of the brewery. It was a very hot July day, in an un-airconditioned joint, but the promise of free (or cheap) beer at the end of the tour drew us in. The tour itself is really nothing more than standing in the master brewing room, hearing about the history of the brewery, and a bit about prohibition. I began to feel quite warm during the tour, and all at once, the room started closing in on me. I looked at Dan with a chalk-white face and said, "I gotta get out of here." I don't know if it was the heat, or the excitement over the beer, but our time at the Brooklyn Brewery was cut short. Dan, being the lovely person that he is, promptly got me some water and sat with me while my stomach crept back down to it's natural place.
At any rate, my nearly-passing-out experience at the brewery didn't cast a shadow on my feelings for the beer. Happy hour at the brewery (every Friday) boasts $3 beers- normal prices for most places, but a steal here in New York. The Lager and the Brown Ale are probably the two most common offerings- I prefer the Lager myself. I've also had the Pumpkin Ale (it's OK), and the Oktoberfest (pretty good).
There are two brewmaster's reserve ales- I haven't had either one. One is the Blast, with is a strong pale ale (I'm not a fan, but my friend Alex would be in heaven), and the other is a Blond Bock (which I would probably really like).
MAN I sure do wish beer had fewer calories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home