Snippets from Science

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

OCD

Why do we obsessively check our email? Is it because we think some major job offer is going to roll in? Or a long lost friend or lover is suddenly going to reappear and shoot you an email? Or is because we are bored at work and need a distraction? I think choice C.
For me, though, it's a combination of all 3. I've been fortunate enough to get 2 gigs in the last few weeks, via email notification, from the same person. Granted, these gigs aren't 2 days away (one is in Oct. and the other next April), but now that I know my point of contact can reach me through gmail, I check it every 1/2 hour. I've also recently received random emails from friends who were otherwise dead to me, and even though I've heard nothing since my last response, I still check my hotmail...every 1/2 hour. And, of course, I get bored at work. Even though I have plenty to keep me busy. So I check my gmail and hotmail...every 1/2 hour....or 20 minutes...depending on what I'm expecting.
I guess I should get back to Excel....but I'll check my email first. Maybe something has changed in the last 15 minutes.

7 Comments:

  • there seemed to be a lot of numbers in this entry. it made my head spin. ok, i'm late to check email.

    By Blogger Robert, at 11:28 AM  

  • I am laerted by my work computer when an email hits my inbox, thereby never not being in my email. Technically, my email is a full time job.

    By Blogger Michael G Bare, at 11:42 AM  

  • it took me a good 2 minutes to figure out that you actually meant to type "alerted" and not "laerted", michael. I was like, "what the hell is laerted? is that some doomcore term? i'm so not goth enough!"

    By Blogger Hilary, at 11:47 AM  

  • hey i just emailed you. just touching base...

    By Blogger Ratface, at 11:57 AM  

  • do you use gmail notifier at home? it's awesome. i've never had such a good time with internet-based e-mail.

    By Blogger George Lam, at 12:03 PM  

  • We are all going to get fabulous jobs via email! If we don't ckeck them every half-hour they may take the jobs back. It is gorilla warfare out there in cyberspace!

    By Blogger Florida Opera/Waitress, at 8:54 AM  

  • guerilla.
    it's alabama. spelling is eckstinked.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home