Snippets from Science

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Read the fine print

I managed to land an audition for Juilliard Opera Center. Great news, considering how much time and preparation and money I put into the application. And the best part is, the audition itself only requires one aria, one other piece of my choice, and a monologue.

Or so I thought.

Apparently, I'm an idiot. Either that, or I get ahead of myself and don't read the fine print. For the pre-screening, I had to submit- among other things- a recording with 4 arias. I had to record 2 of these arias several weeks ago when I was sick, but what are you gonna do? The show must go on. According to the audition rep. information, it clearly states "in addition to the pre-screening materials, be prepared to present a 21st century aria and a piece of your choice that is not an aria." So that means that I must have all of the arias from my recording ready to go. For Juilliard. For the administration, voice faculty, and opera faculty. Gulp.
You see, I included the Fairy Godmother's (Cendrillon) 2 big scenes on my recording- one of which really isn't an aria of any kind. I had these pieces on a CD from the show I did with Summer Opera last summer. Ain't no way that I can have that particular part of the opera worked up in 3 weeks for my audition. Ain't no way.
So, do I call and ask about doing some rep switching? Do I just DO the rep switching and hope they won't notice? I'm crapping my pants enough about getting the audition. But now, because of my inability to comprehend simple instructions, I'm f*&%ed.
What to do?

2 Comments:

  • i switch all of the time. just make sure you bring in an updated rep list with you. don't ask questions, just hand it to the judges. make several copies.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 8:18 AM  

  • OK. Good thinking. I don't think it will be a big deal, but you never can tell with these things.

    Thanks!

    By Blogger Hilary, at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home