Snippets from Science

Friday, November 11, 2005

Glorious




The only word to describe this evening's festivities. Forget the fact that I'm totally nauseous from tonight's ssssssssspread of booze, fine dining, and fun. Mama's not used to all that goodness...that's clear by the utter disgust I hold for food at this moment.

At any rate, tonight's gala dinner was spectacular. I truly was a part of history, and that is pretty amazing. The evening began, after I helped with set-up, with a cocktail hour, where I preceded to drink two gin and sodas, and bond with lab members. There are some really cool people in my lab- I'm only sorry I'm just now starting to figure that out, a year after I started working at Hopkins. We threw back the cocktails, and stumbled into the ballroom, where the fantastic tables (that I helped design!) were set up. All 81 of them. That's right- 810 people. The salad was preset, and the program began. In between speakers, the main course was served (lamb chop, fillet of sole, potato souflee, and broccolinni). The wine flowed. More and more people payed tribute to Dr. Snyder (the Doc for whom I work), and it was really touching. I work for one of the most important scientists of the 20-21st century. That's awesome.

Complete with an amazing performance by Leon Fleisher, during which the drunks at the table next to me were nearly bitch-slapped for talking, the night was first class. My beaded gown was a hit, and the hard work paid off. I only HOPE that I find a job as wonderful as this one in New York. I don't think it will be possible to replace all of the wonderful people I have met, but that certainly won't stop me for calling upon them for recommendations!

2 Comments:

  • see, it's not that the people in your lab are cool - it's that you've progressively become dorkier and dorkier over the course of the year. ahhh...the wonders of science!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 AM  

  • i wonder why you look the best of any of those ladies. oh wait, you have 20 years on 'em.

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home