Snippets from Science

Monday, April 16, 2007

Astoria Dinner Club

As much as some Manhattanites complain about the outer boroughs, I find it's mostly out of ignorance. For example: On Friday night, I was talking about my upcoming birthday party with my friend Adam and his roommate. Adam (who lives in the East Village) said he was excited and planned to bring a few people with him. His roommate asked where I was having my bash. I said, "Barcade." He said, "Where is THAT?" I said, "Williamsburg." He said, "Ugh. Brooklyn? Yeah, I don't go to parties in Brooklyn. In fact, I don't go to anything outside of Manhattan." "That's cool", I said "it's really not your scene. Plus, you're not invited." He smirked.
The fact of the matter is, going to Brooklyn or Queens (sorry, Bronx and Staten Islanders- but you really are farther out), often takes just as much time as it would to get to certain destintations in Manhattan. I think it's laziness. I know people who live in Manhattan who have no idea how to get to Columbia University. These are the same people who complain about having to take the subway 3 stops. Pathetic, right? Right.

That being said, one of the biggest supporters of the outer boroughs is my friend Jonathan. Although he lives in Manhattan, he's a true Brooklynite at heart (and should probably move there with the quickness). So, last night, Jonathan schlepped out to Astoria (and I do mean schlepped in that monsoon) to have dinner with me and a fellow Astorian, Andrew. Andrew and Jonthan are friends from way back, and since Andrew and I only live a few blocks apart, we decided it was time for Jonathan to put that outer borough support to use and come have dinner in our neck of the woods. We had a lovely evening, and decided that we would dine monthly in Astoria, referring to ourselves as the Astoria Dinner Club. I think Members Only jackets are in order...

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home